The building which houses the law firm of Orlando & Associates has a rich history.
Built in 1750 by Nathaniel Ellery, it was the birthplace of Addison Gilbert, Gloucester businessman and philanthropist. The Gilbert family purchased the home at some point in the 1780s, and updated it in the early 1800s into the three story Federal building which still exists today on the corner of Angle Street and Western Avenue.
Addison Gilbert, who famously donated $100,000 upon his death to begin the Addison Gilbert Hospital, lived in the home for his entire life. Mr. Gilbert never married nor had any children, so he donated the Gilbert Home upon his death in 1888 to the city of Gloucester, along with $75,000, so that it could be used as a home for the “aged and infirm.”
Addison Gilbert’s Generosity Made our Hospital Possible
Gloucester Daily Times, June 11, 1947
Sea Figures in Hospital History
Gloucester Daily Times, February 28, 1956
The trustees of the Gilbert estate ran the home until 1981, when the group decided to quietly test the waters for sale.
In 1981, when Orlando purchased it, he became only the fourth owner of the building in its existence. After extensive renovation, it became the home of Orlando & White, and later, Orlando & Associates.
Gilbert Home a worthy preservation
Gloucester Daily Times, November 27, 1981
How little we ‘natives’ know
Gloucester Daily Times, September 7, 1982
In 2000, Attorney Orlando replaced the siding and had the building painted gray, returning it to its original color. The building’s front steps are blocks of granite that are original to the home, and derived from the Rockport quarries. On the side of the front steps, there are original boot scrapers, designed for those visiting to scrape the mud off their boots before entering the home. A few metal loops to tie up horses can be seen around the building. Attorney Orlando has also planted rose bushes in the yard, in keeping with the rose garden which can be seen in the early photographs.
While the interior of the building has been modernized to fit the needs of a busy law office, for the most part, the exterior of the building maintains its original look.